This dish does not only look pretty it also tastes amazing. This dish can be served as a light wintery starter or as a main course.
Makes 3–4 servings
- 2–3 medium sized fresh beetroot, washed, but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 150 grams beluga lentils
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 milliliters vegetable stock
- Aluminum/tin foil to wrap the beetroot
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 bunch of fresh dill
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. When the oven has reached the temperature place the beets wrapped tin foil and bake for approximately 50 minutes until tender. leave to cool. Peel the beetroots once they are cool.
- On a medium heat, add the olive oil to a pan and gently fry the shallots until softened. Add the beluga lentils to the pan and mix well. Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar. Add the vegetable stock and the bay leave and cook the lentils until tender for 15 minutes.
- For the dressing combine the extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, fresh dill and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the lentils are cooked, give a good stir then drain. In a separate bowl, add the lentils and the dressing and mix well.
- With a mandoline/vegetable slicer, thinly slice the beets and place as a layer on a large plate. Place the dressed lentils on top of the layer of beetroot. Add fresh chopped dill and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.